This year, for children applying to enter programs in fall 2021, Gifted & Talented (G&T) offers will be made differently than in previous years.
- We will not be administering a G&T test.
- Instead, families and educators will help identify students for accelerated learning.
Who Can Participate
- For families with children entering first, second, and third grades in fall 2021: Offers to G&T programs will be made to children from last year’s G&T waitlists. The DOE will not be accepting new applications for these seats.
- All families with children born in 2016 who live in New York City—including those who have temporarily relocated due to the COVID-19 pandemic—can participate in G&T admissions.
How to Participate:
If you would like your child who was born in 2016 to apply for kindergarten G&T programs, here’s what to do and expect this year:
1. Submit an Application
Starting March 8, you can submit a Gifted & Talented application for your child. You can apply to up to 12 programs on your child’s application. There will be two ways to apply: online with MySchools(Open external link) or through a Family Welcome Center.
2. Current Program or DOE Questionnaire
- For children currently enrolled in pre-K programs: Once you have applied, educators from your family’s pre-K school or program will then complete a questionnaire to determine if your child is eligible to apply for a G&T seat.
- For children NOT enrolled in pre-K programs: Once you have applied, the DOE’s Early Childhood Team will complete this questionnaire based on a short remote interview.
3. Learn if Your Child Is Eligible
Beginning in mid-May, we will notify all families who submitted an application whether or not their child is eligible to be considered for admission to G&T programs this year.
4. Understand How G&T Offers Are Made
- All eligible children will then be considered for admission to G&T programs.
- Some of these applicants (such as siblings of current students) will be prioritized for offers, consistent with previous policies.
- If there are more applicants than seats available within any priority group, offers will be made within that group according to applicants’ randomly assigned numbers, as in a lottery.
5. Receive Your G&T Results
Participating families will receive their results—which may include a G&T offer—this summer, ahead of fall 2021.