I hope that this letter finds you well. I would like to remind you about the importance of your child’s physical education. The percentage of overweight youth has more than tripled in the past 30 years partially due to increased interest in sedentary activities such as television, smart phones, and video games. A reduction in physical activity as well as an increase in caloric intake has contributed to the obesity epidemic. It is a well-documented fact that Americans become increasingly less active as they age. Just as children and youth can learn the habit of regular physical activity, they can learn to be inactive if they are not taught skills and given opportunities to be active during their childhood. Physical activity education in school physical education programs is the cornerstone of an active lifestyle for all students. My PE program provides the skills, knowledge and attitudes that facilitate choosing physical activity after school, at home and in the community. As your child’s physical education teacher, I pledge to:
· Establish a positive, safe learning environment for all students.
· Teach a variety of physical activities that make physical education class fun and enjoyable.
· Create maximum opportunities for students of all abilities to be successful.
· Promote student honesty, integrity and good sportsmanship.
· Guide students into becoming skillful and confident movers.
· Facilitate the development and maintenance of physical fitness.
· Assist students in setting and achieving personal goals.
· Provide specific, constructive feedback to help students master motor skills.
· Afford opportunities for students to succeed in cooperative and competitive situations.
· Prepare and encourage students to practice skills and be active for a lifetime.
I would like to invite you to visit my physical education class. You will see our youth participating in developmentally-appropriate activities that will help increase their physical competence, self-esteem and joy of being physically active no matter what their physical abilities may be. By enhancing your child’s physical activity education, I am certain we will be able to help your child enjoy a lifetime of physical activity and sound health. If you have any inquiries, please feel free to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org. I look forward to meeting you at our next parent-teacher conference!